Sunday, March 29, 2009

Starting a blog


So, I have decided to start a little blog. I have been doing Facebook, just started on Twitter and am now venturing into the world of blogging. It is very much a work in progress as of now, I am hoping to post things that I really enjoy mostly having to do with health and wellness and things of that nature.

I find that I meet and talk to so many interesting people, both in my work and in my personal life, who always have great tips and information on how to live better. For example, today at work one of my clients is a great sports medicine doctor and another is a chiropractor/neurologist. Needless to say, every time I see each of them I learn something new and helpful.

Last night I was browsing blogs and came across a recipe for kale chips. I made a kale and white bean soup for dinner last night and had almost an entire bunch of kale left over. So it was just serendipitous to come across this recipe. I tossed the kale in olive oil and salt and put it in a 350 degree oven for about 8 minutes. It came out FABULOUS!! It is crispy and tasty; unbelievable!

If you are not familiar with the beauty of Kale, has more beta carotene and vitamin C than other greens and possibly any other vegetable, according to a study at the Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston. It is a rich source of folate, to prevent heart disease, and calcium and magnesium for strong bones.

Here are the directions:
• 1 bunch of Kale, I used dinosaur kale but you can use green or curly kale too
• Toss with olive oil and salt to lightly coat
• Put on baking sheet in a single layer
• Bake at 350 degrees (or 325 in a convection oven) for 8 to 10 minutes

Okay, that is it for my first post on my new blog.

4 comments:

OHN said...

Hi..I was blog surfing during my lunch break and came across yours. WELCOME to the world of blogging :)

Kale..hmmm, I will have to give it a try. I have heard it is bitter, but I think olive oil and salt can make most anything taste better :)

debtink said...

post the recipe?

Kari said...

Steph made this kale recipe for Brad's birthday. The kids and everybody ate it all up. It was soooo good. My daughter said, "I just can't stop eating this mom, my body says, more, more!"

Steven said...

I finally tried this, but instead of chips I just got baked kale. I cooked it even longer than suggested too. Any tips?